18 March, 2016
ICFO offers a focused PhD program of 4.5 years, in partnership with the Universitat Politenica de Catalunya – BarcelonaTech, with an emphasis on intensive research-based training.
Our International PhD Fellowship Program welcomes applications from individuals with a degree in a field of science and engineering related to theICFO research activities.
Potential research lines include, but are not limited to:
– Biomedical optics and biophotonics
– Nanotechnology and nanophotonics
– Quantum optics and quantum information
– Optical Sensing and optoelectronics
– Graphene physics and nanomaterials
– Ultra cold quantum gases
– Nanoscopy and super-resolution imaging
– Nonlinear optics and atom optics
– Atto-science and ultrafast physics
– Green technologies and photovoltaics
– Single-molecule physics
– Advanced laser technology
– Cell Biophysics
– Single Molecule (bio)physics
You can find more details about ICFO’s Research Groups and Group Leaders athttps://www.icfo.eu/research/research.php. If you are interested in discussing possible research topics, please contact ICFO Group Leaders directly.
The present call for applications contains fellowship positions offered in the framework of the following programs: ICFOstepstone (MSCA–COFUND, European Commission), the International Fellowship Program “la Caixa” – Severo Ochoa @ ICFO, as well as the MINECO Severo Ochoa PhD-fellowships program.
ELIGIBILITY AND CONDITIONS
To be eligible, candidates must have:
– An internationally-recognized Master-equivalent degree, which must be completed by the time of enrolment in the PhD Program. The degree must be in a field of science and engineering related to the ICFO research activities. Degrees issued within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) should have an equivalent to 300 ECTS, out of which a minimum of 60 ECTS should have been obtained in postgraduate studies. If in doubt regarding your academic eligibility, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– An excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment for scientific research.
– A high working knowledge of English.
The conditions of the ICFO International PhD Fellowships are as follows:
– Initial trainee contract for a period of 6 months, while being pre-admitted to the PhD Program, with an explicit follow-up/ renewal procedure at the end of that first stage. During this period students already take part in the ICFO working environment, join a research group, and work with their supervisor to define a research project.
– After this initial period, students are formally enrolled in the PhD Program, and the full PhD Fellowship activated. Fellowships are offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of up to four years. Renewal is subject to satisfactory performance in the PhD studies and related research activities, evaluated annually by the Thesis Director and the ICFO PhD Committee.
– Selected candidates shall start their PhD-studies between September and October of the ongoing calendar year.
– Fellowships include medical care coverage and work accident insurance through the Spanish Social Security system, providing access to the Spanish public health care system.
Specific additional eligibility requirements and conditions, such as mobility requirements, may apply to the different funding schemes available.
Applications to the ICFO International PhD Fellowships program must be submitted online via the corresponding general call available at http://jobs.icfo.eu.
Eligible candidates must complete the online application form, and submit:
– A cover letter with declaration of research interests,
– A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details,
– Scanned copies of the complete (Bachelor and Master equivalent) academic transcripts in English or Spanish,
– Scanned copies of the degree certificates, if available at the time of application,
– The contact e-mail of at least two potential referees. The candidate should ask the referees to send reference letters directly email@example.com before the application deadline.
– If available, scanned copy of standardized test results (GRE, TOEFL, etc.). Submission of test results is optional, but they can be particularly helpful for evaluating candidates with degrees obtained outside the European Higher Education Area.
Required application material (see above) must be complete in order to be considered.
Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to the ICFO International PhD Fellowship Program.
The deadline for submission of applications for the present call is April 1, 2016.
Applicants will be notified the results of the first evaluation stage by April 18, 2016.
Short-listed candidates will receive invitations to visit ICFO for oral interviews with the selection committee and ICFO GLs, during week of May 16-20, 2016.
At all stages of the process, candidates may contact ICFO Human Resources and Education firstname.lastname@example.org.
This post is not valid after Friday April 1st, 2016