23 November, 2016
AgResearch is the Crown Research Institute tasked with delivering cutting-edge agricultural science and innovation to benefit the wider New Zealand economy. Our internationally-recognised scientists work across the agricultural sectors in collaboration with a range of stakeholders both nationally and internationally, putting science and innovation at the forefront. We are proud to be a unique organisation that is driving prosperity by transforming agriculture.
We seek an enthusiastic research technician with an interest in analytical chemistry/biochemistry to take up a 2-year fixed term position with the Metabolomics team in the Food, Nutrition and Health team currently based in Palmerston North. This is a laboratory based position. The successful applicant will join a team of established research scientists and technicians and will participate in the development and running of both routine and novel analytical techniques for the New Zealand pastoral industries.
Practical experience of analytical instrumentation and laboratory working environments is essential. Ideally you will possess a good knowledge and practical experience with LC-MS, GC-MS and separation science, as well as a sound understanding of scientific methods and experimental designs. Previous experience working in a PC2 lab with samples of biological origin would be advantageous.
- Prepare samples for analysis as required
- Carry out small scale synthetic reactions
- Undertake isolations of components of interest for further analysis
- Contribute to development of improved methods for metabolomic analysis
- Operate analytical instrumentation for high-throughput metabolomic analysis
- Carry out data analysis as required
- Basic instrument maintenance
- Prepare reports of analytical results for clients as required
- Lab supply management
- You will have a tertiary qualification in chemistry, biochemistry or a related discipline
- Ideally you will possess a good knowledge of LC-MS, GC-MS and separation science
- Practical experience with mass spectrometry instrumentation (LC-MS/GC-MS)
- Have a sound understanding of scientific methods and experimental designs
- You will have good organisational skills and a commitment to high standards of performance
- You will work well both as a team member and independently, producing high quality science to tight deadlines while managing the day to day operations of a metabolomics laboratory
- The ability to collate and interpret experimental data and effectively communicate findings and conclusions will be essential
- Beautiful campuses
- AgResearch is committed to supporting ongoing training and continued professional development
- Generous leave provisions and access to the group scheme for health insurance
- Income and life insurance
- Supportive family friendly working environment
- Optional 5th week annual leave, multiple retail discounts and All of Government Westpac banking discounts
How to Apply
The intended start date for this position is 01 March 2017, or as soon as possible after this date.
Simply apply via https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/jobdetails/ajid/kEo38/Metabolomics-Technician-–-Palmerston-North,20219.html and complete our online application form, and submit your CV, cover letter and other relevant documentation.
If you would like to know more about this fantastic opportunity, in strict confidence, please contact Dr Karl Fraser by email (email@example.com) or phone (+64-6-351-8222) for further information.
Expressions of interest close on 18 December 2016.
For more information about AgResearch, please watch the video which can be found at the top of this advert.
This post is not valid after Monday December 19th, 2016