20 January, 2017
At the Audiovisual Technology Group, Institute for Media Technology, Faculty for Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, there is an opening for a PhD candidate position, to be filled starting February 1st 2017
** Scientific co-worker (PhD candidate or Post-Doc),
Topic area Evaluation of high-quality video (4k / UHD, HDR) **
for a starting duration of 15 months in full-time, with the possibility of prolongation to pursue a PhD (“Dr.-Ing.”). Remuneration is provided according to the applicable tariff for public service of the German Federal States (TV-L). The position is offered in the context of an industry-funded project in collaboration with T-Labs (Telekom Innovation Laboratories, Berlin). The planned research targets the development of video and audiovisual quality prediction models for high-quality video (“4k”/UHD and beyond).
* Research: The planned work addresses the perceptual assessment and optimization of video services such as IP-based 4k/UHD and HDR. The work comprises aspects such as: selection and possibly recording of 4k/UHD and HDR video sequences, processing in context of IP-based transmission, characterization of processed videos using bitstream- and video signal analysis, carrying out video quality tests with test participants, develop novel ap-proaches for instrumental quality prediction, in the context of standardization activities by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU-T) and the Video Quality Experts Group (VQEG).
Particular research emphasis will be on the particularities of immersive video and its perception, the role of the source quality, the impact of processing, coding and trans-mission and the integration of audiovisual information.
* Academic administration: Tasks typical for such positions include contributions to the self-administration of the group AVT and TU Ilmenau and an active exchange with the col-leagues of the Institute for Media Technology.
* Academic degree in one of the areas Media Technology, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Informatics, Neuroinformatics, Physics, or similar
* Solid general technical background, plus theoretical knowledge and practical experience in/with one or more of the following areas: Multimedia systems and/or systems for multimedia communication, image and/or video technology, digital signal processing, multimedia technology, statistical analysis methods; planning, conduction and analysis of empirical studies. Knowledge in the areas pattern recognition, machine learning, or cognitive modeling will be a plus.
* Interest in multidisciplinary research at the interface between technology and perception
* Very good communication skills, engagement, enthusiasm for research, ability of independent work, initiative and team-playing competence
* Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
The Audiovisual Technology Group of the Institute for Media Technology (IMT) provides multi-disciplinary collaboration with other Institutes of University of Technology Ilmenau and external partners from academia and industry. The IMT is an Institute of the Faculty for Electrical Engineering and Information Technology and is renowned at a worldwide scale. TU Ilmenau carries the certificate “TOTAL E-Quality” and explicitly asks female candidates to apply.
In case of equal qualification and suitability for the position, disabled candidates (German: “Schwerbehinderte”) will be employed with priority. Please send your application with the typical documents (including CV, study certificates, if available publication lists, two to three possible references) at latest until February 8th, 2017 to email@example.com.
Further information can be obtained from Prof. Raake directly.
This post is not valid after Tuesday March 21st, 2017