23 February, 2016
Context of intervention
The “Environmental Research and Innovation” (ERIN) department of LIST has an opening for an Intern position. The intern will be integrated in the e-Science unit, which focuses on data analytics & visualization and their application to environmental sciences.
Images are a major source of knowledge about the environment. Unfortunately in many cases the images are available with little descriptive information. This prevents to use numerous techniques available for analyzing multimedia content that require the presence of metadata and labels. The internship will investigate how to extract knowledge from raw images by combining advanced multimedia classification models with an active learning approach.
The first task of the internship will be to synthesize the literature about image classification and active learning. The most promising technologies will then be selected and adapted to the context of raw image collections (e.g. images of flooding events). Finally a prototype will be developed and evaluated.
- Master in Computer Science (or equivalent) in progress
- Solid background in Mathematics and/or Statistics
- Specific knowledge in machine learning is a plus
- Proficient in computer programming
- Knowledge in (at least a couple of) the following technologies will be appreciated: R, Matlab, Torch, node.js, angular.js, C, C/CUDA, Spark
- Self-organized, team worker, with good communication skills
- English is mandatory, French is a plus
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online on our website: www.list.lu
The application file should include:
a motivation letter
For any questions regarding the background of the internship, feel free to contact Benoît Otjacques by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This post is not valid after Friday April 22nd, 2016