19 September, 2016
Bringing the best of genetic evaluation to the New Zealand agricultural industry
AgResearch is a leading Crown Research Institute charged with delivering science and innovation to benefit New Zealand agriculture and its wider economy. Our internationally recognised scientists are dedicated to this mission and we collaborate with world leading science organisations and universities to achieve exceptional science delivery. We are proud to be unique organisation that is driving prosperity by transforming agriculture to better equip our future generations to come.
We are seeking a Research Scientist/Post Doc to work within the strategic direction of the Animal Genomics team by delivering new research opportunities that achieve maximum impact on our livestock sectors.
You’ll join a large multidisciplinary team focused on developing novel genetic strategies. The team comprises well-established and emerging scientists, closely aligned with global industry groups, research and commercial partners.
You will provide science capability in applied quantitative genetics and genomics with focus on the sheep, dairy, beef and deer sectors. Your extensive industry knowledge, impressive research track record, “can do” attitude, and excellent interpersonal skills would add value to our team.
This is a fixed term position involving delivery of high quality animal genetics research in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment. You will be responsible for:
- The generation of genomic data to underpin genomic selection and GWAS studies.
- Whole genome sequencing
- High and Low Density SNP genotyping and/or genotyping-by sequencing.
- Utilization of Genomics data together with phenotypic data to investigate and develop methods for gene discovery (eg. Causative SNP’s, indels and structural variations)
- Implementation of the above effects into genomic selection.
You will have;
- A PhD or other high level post graduate degree in Animal Science
- Proven experience in researching animal genetics
- Beautiful campuses & great Learning and Development opportunities
- Generous provisional leave & access to the group scheme for health insurance
- Income and Life insurance & Supportive family friendly working environment with flexible work hours
- Optional 5th week annual leave, multiple retail discounts & All of Government Westpac banking discounts
How to apply
Apply via www.agresearch.co.nz/careers/ and submit your CV and covering letter. For more information regarding the role please contact Rosemary Rickman on +64 3 489 9020. Closing date is Thursday 13th October 2016. We look forward to receiving your application.
This post is not valid after Thursday October 13th, 2016